HelpNet Security -
Abnormal Security released a report which examines the escalating adverse impact of socially-engineered and never-seen-before email attacks, and other advanced email threats—both financial and reputational—to organizations worldwide.
The report surveyed advanced email attacks across eight major industry sectors, including retail and consumer goods; manufacturing; technology; energy and infrastructure services; medical; media and television; finance; and hospitality.
- 32.5% of all companies were targeted by brute force attacks in early June 2021
- 137 account takeovers occurred per 100,000 mailboxes for members of the C-suite
- 61% of organizations experienced a vendor email compromise attack this quarter
- 22% more business email compromise attacks since Q4 2020
- 60% chance of a successful account takeover each week for organizations with 50,000+ employees
- 73% of all advanced threats were credential phishing attacks
- 80% probability of attack every week for retail and consumer goods, technology, and media and television companies
The post Increase in credential phishing and brute force attacks causing financial and reputational damage was first published on Help Net Security.